We, at Front Runner Events, like most people in the UK, have been closely monitoring the continued spread of COVID-19 / coronavirus. With the swift and forced changes affecting society on a daily basis, we want to make entrants and runners aware of our current thoughts and how it is affecting our planning. Given the postponement and cancellation of so many other events across the country and further afield (including the Euro’s and the Olympics), we are putting the JCP Swansea Half Marathon ‘UNDER REVIEW’.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
We are not a reckless company and at no point would we take a course of action that would put any of our participants, staff, contractors, or suppliers in harm’s way. We are continuing to gather data from our medical team, Local Authority, and many other stakeholders with a view to see how this pandemic may develop. We are also closely monitoring the advice and guidance from UK Government, Welsh Government and Public Health Wales.
I am of the opinion that we have sufficient time available to us to consider a variety options that will allow us to prepare for a number of scenarios. Due to the nature of what we do, conditions of our event licence, risk assessments and so on, we will need medical support throughout this process and at the event. We are having regular discussions with our medical team about all options and we are in agreement that it is too early to decide a final course of action for Swansea, which I explain below.
WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS?
Of the many options available to us, one could be that the pandemic begins to rescind (in a number of weeks) and we may able to proceed on June 14th as planned. I am of the opinion that having this goal to aim for after a period of ‘lock down or isolation’, would provide significant relief to many.
Another option could be that we delay the event until later in the summer/early winter and allow for the pandemic to pass when hopefully normal living conditions return, and we adjust our plans accordingly.
We are keeping as many options open as possible at the moment to allow us to make an informed and the correct decision. With this in mind, can I ask that you are patient and continue to support us whilst we continue to review all aspects of this unprecedented, dynamic and constantly changing situation. Rest assured, we will take the correct course of action for the event and in a timely manner. We will not prolong this review process and will update you as soon as possible.
Please continue to follow Governmental advice on exercise and maximising the amount of time available to train outdoors. Please also adhere to social distancing and isolation protocols.
Stay safe and we will update you again very soon.
David Martin-Jewell, Race Director